
Home has been a loaded word for me through our many moves. I have come to terms with calling many places home instead of home meaning one location. Yet, as my plane circled the city of
are instinctive to me. I have been gone for three years, which is the longest time I have spent away from
On the drive home from the airport and on our numerous walks over the last three days I have been stuck by the slight yet significant differences I see and feel from the
me. I have to stop every once in a while and breathe deeply; flowers, gum trees, the ocean: the smells of home. I find myself giggling or calling out in joy every so often. The dusty grey-green of plants and trees along with the Aussie brands and labels in the cupboard, fill me with a girlish glee and whisper “home”. My eyes are filled with the sights of familiar little shops: bread, fish and chips, flowers, and surf boards. The ocean, so close
to my parents’ house that I can feel the pounding of the waves as I lay in bed at night, stretches out with crystal blue vastness. The accents and languages I hear along side the tastes of kebabs, Jatz Biscuits for morning tea, Cadbury’s drinking chocolate, and leatherwood honey; I’m slightly overwhelmed with home.
What will this life hold for me? I am so full of hope and expectation. I am a young woman coming back as an adult to the culture of my childhood. Rooms of my heart that are normally
closed to each other are open as I bridge these two cultures I hold so dear. I am at a crossing point, a portal, between my two worlds and cultures. Between being a child and an adult; between being at home and a foreigner in the same place.
1 comment:
I'm so glad you're so happy, thankful and excited to be home! Have a nice rest of the week as you take in more and more of Australia and settle down again! =)
Post a Comment